Dogs are not permitted - Between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. Friday before Memorial Day through Labor Day
Must be on a leash:
- Between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. April 1 through Thursday before Memorial Day
- Between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. Tuesday after Labor Day through September 30
Must be on leash or under positive voice control at all other times
Persons in control of animals on the beach are required to remove and properly dispose of the animal's excrement
Beach Laws At A Glance:
Sec. 17-1-114. Running at large prohibited; leash required; animals on streets and public places.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person owning any dog or any other animal or having the control of any dog or any other animal to permit such animal to be on the street or any other public place in the town, except beaches, when such animal is not at all times on a leash.
(b) From Friday of Memorial Day weekend through the Monday of Labor Day weekend of each year, dogs or any other animal shall not be allowed on the beach between 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. nor in any designated swimming area at any hour.
(c) Dog owners or handlers may allow their dogs to be without a leash within the fenced areas of a designated public dog park; provided, however, that:
(1) Dogs must remain leashed when entering or leaving the park area and when within the fenced lobby area. The lobby entrance gate and inner gate to the dog park must be closed immediately after entering the lobby or dog park area;
(2) No dog owner or handler shall allow any dog that is not under positive voice control or supervision to be unleashed within the fenced area of any public dog park;
(3) No dog owner or handler shall permit his dog, whether leashed or unleashed, to attack, bite, molest, leap or jump upon or otherwise harass, harm or annoy any other person or dog within the fenced area of any public dog park. Any dog exhibiting any such behavior shall be immediately removed from the dog park by its owner or handler;
(4) No dog owner or handler shall bring any dog that is known to such person to have previously attacked, bitten, molested or harmed any other person or animal into any public dog park;
(5) No dog owner or handler shall bring any dog younger than four months into any dog park;
(6) No dog owner or handler shall bring any female dogs "in heat" into any dog park;
(7) No dog owner or handler shall bring any dog that is not legally licensed, and which has not had all required vaccinations into any dog park;
(8) No dog owners or handlers shall permit their dog to dig within any dog park. Dog owners and handlers shall fill any holes dug by their dog;
(9) No dog owner or handler shall leave an unattended dog within any dog park. Unattended dogs shall be considered abandoned;
(10) No more than two dogs per dog owner or handler are permitted in any dog park at any one time;
(11) Dog owners and handlers shall clean up and remove any droppings left by their dog within any dog park and elsewhere;
(12) Children under the age of twelve are not permitted in any dog park, unless accompanied by a parent or guardian;
(13) Professional dog trainers shall not utilize any dog park for the conduct of their business; and
(14) No person shall allow any other animal except a dog to be within the fenced area of a designated public dog park.
(d) No person shall permit any excrement from any animal under that person's control to remain on the beach, the street, dog park, any other public place or the private property of another, but shall dispose of same in a sanitary manner
(e) Any violation of these provisions shall result in the owner of the animal being charged with a misdemeanor and may result in the animal being seized by the appropriate animal control officer or law enforcement officer.
(Ord. No. 85-10, § 1, 5-20-85; Ord. No. 88-17, § 1, 8-15-88; Ord. No. 02-32, § 1, 9-17-02) Cross references: Animals on beaches, § 8-1-211. Sec. 17-1-115. Barking dogs.
It shall be unlawful for any person to allow any dog or cat to bark or meow to such an extent as to interfere materially with or affect the health, comfort, peace, or quiet of any other person.
(Ord. No. 85-10, § 1, 5-20-85)
Pet Friendly Restaurant - Anglers Grills fresh seafood is prepared broiled, blackened, fried or seared. Lands End Tavern enthusiasts, of whom there are many, will be happy to learn that the Beaudrys chef from Lands End Tavern is orchestrating matt...
Pet Friendly Restaurant - Locals are flocking to the tiny waterfront cafe to enjoy a fresh new spin on island dining. With both indoor and outdoor seating, patrons are finding a unique blend of casual elegance, reminiscent of a Paris bistro. ...More Info
Black Marlin Bayside Grill
Pet Friendly Restaurant - Partly because of its location beside a marshy inland channel, a few steps from the most battered-looking boatyard and marina on Hilton Head Island, this is the most raffish of the "grand cuisine" restaurants of Hilt...More Info
Pet Friendly Restaurant - A unique restaurant and bar that is located right near the beach. Offering fresh and local lowcounty ingredients paired with craft beers and wines. Founded 2011: Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, a chill indoor/outdoor ...More Info
Bruster's Real Ice Cream
Pet Friendly Restaurant - Bruster's was founded in 1989 by a man whose passion for extraordinary ice cream and stellar customer service runs deep. Born into the restaurant business, Bruce Reed opened his first Bruster's in Bridgewater, Pennsy...More Info
Pet Friendly Restaurant - Captain Woody's is Hilton Head Island's neighborhood bar and grill and has recently moved to Target Road, near the Sea Pines Circle. It is the ideal place to come after a day of fishing, sailing or lounging on the be...More Info
For many years, locals have made Coligny Plaza their go-to place for finding whatever ?IT? is. Millions of visitors make Coligny part of their family traditions of enjoying all the Island has to offer. With over 60 shops & restaurants, there i...
Pet Friendly Restaurant - Flatbread Grill, opened April 2011, offers an upscale casual dining experience for family and friends in a friendly, energetic atmosphere.
2 North Forest Beach Drive
Frosty Frog Cafe
Pet Friendly Restaurant - Besides making great daiquiris, Frosty also knows a thing or two about making webbed foot-licking... or rather...fingerlicking good food.
1 North Forest Beach Drive #18
Main Street Cafe & Pub
Pet Friendly Restaurant - When your appetite calls for real food, creatively prepared and fairly priced in an unpretentious atmosphere, make a beeline to Main Street Cafe & Pub and prepare to be Delighted! Come in and let our family treat...More Info
Old Fort Pub
Pet Friendly Restaurant - Perched high above the banks of the scenic intracoastal waterway, Old Fort Pub offers unrivaled sunsets framed by moss-draped live oaks and a rich history. Renowned for Chef Keith Josefiak's culinary excellence, enjo...More Info
Old Oyster Factory
Situated on Broad Creek, the Old Oyster Factory is a delight for family and children of all ages. Enjoy superb, innovative seafood and steaks while taking in one of the Lowland's best panoramic views of the marshland landscape.
101 Marshla...More Info
A waterfront Hilton Head Island, SC walking village with 290,000 sqf of retail, restaurant, service, public park & waterfront apartments.
1 Shelter Cove LaneMore Info
Skillets Grill & Cafe
Pet Friendly Restaurant - Skillets Cafe & Grill prepares delicious and affordable home-style meals from scratch with the freshest ingredients. Since opening in 1993 as a small breakfast bistro, Skillets has expanded its casual family rest...More Info
Skull Creek Boathouse
Hilton Head Island's newest landmark, waterfront dining destination is Skull Creek Boathouse. Located on the waterfront of Skull Creek, you'll enjoy beautiful views whether you choose to dine indoors on fresh seafood and American favorites with a ...More Info
Chaplin Dog Park Open from dawn to dusk Mid Island
This dog park has a separate small dog area, benches, trees, mulch ground cover, and drinking water.
William Hilton Pkwy., Hilton Head Island, SC
Alder Lane Beach Access
Amenities: 1) Beach Access 2) Beach Matting 3) Meter Parking 4) Outdoor Showers 5) Restrooms 6) Seasonal Life Guards
Located off of South Forest Beach DriveMore Info
Amenities: 1) Beach Access 2) Meter Parking 3) Outdoor Showers
Located off of William Hilton Parkway at the end of Burkes Beach RoadMore Info
Audubon Newhall Preserve
Featuring a wide variety of fauna and flora, this scenic nature reserve also serves as home to many species of birds.
88 Palmetto Bay Rd
Sea Pines Forest Preserve
Walk through marshy swamps on elevated boardwalks at this 400-acre nature preserve.
Southwest tip of island, accessible via U.S. 278, South End
Dog Friendly Tour - Welcome to Calibogue Cruises (pronounced Cali-bo-gee)! Your first stop on Daufuskie Island is Freeport Marina. Once off the boat you will notice beautifully landscaped grounds. A crushed oyster shell lane leads you past an...More Info
Captain Mark's Dolphin Cruises
Dog Friendly Tour - Welcome to CaptMarksDolphinCruises.com, the official website of Captain Marks Dolphin Cruises, Hilton Head Island's premier cruise company. We've been family owned and operated for 30 years and are looking forward to havin...More Info
Dog Friendly Tour - The Runaway is one of the premier Hilton Head Island Fishing Charters. You can book a trip for Off Shore Deep Sea Fishing or Fish Inshore or Near Shore. Your captain and his mate are here to serve you and plan the trip with you...More Info
Dog Friendly Tour - Vagabond Cruise is Hilton Head Island's original sightseeing and excursion cruise operator, located under the world famous Lighthouse in Harbour Town Yacht Basin since 1968. Vagabond Cruise is a true pioneer in the eco-tou...More Info
Evergreen Pet Lodge
We at Evergreen Pet Lodge invite you and your pets to discover our animal facility – The ultimate in pet boarding. Let your loved one(s) enjoy the pleasures of a carefree vacation at the year round lodge, where red carpet treatment and comfo...More Info
Pet Friendly Restaurant - Red Fish specializes in cuisine where a blend of house-made spices, tropical fruits and vegetables are combined with Lowcountry specialties and we are committed to serving our guests the freshest ingredients possible...More Info