Historical Sites & Museums
Indian Shell Ring
The Indian Shell Ring is just a short walk starting at the East Entrance of the Sea Pines Forest Preserve, off Lawton Drive.
The Sea PinesShell Ring can be seen near the east entrance to the Sea Pines Forest Preserve. The ring, one of only 20 in existence, is 150 feet (46 m) in diameter and is believed to be over 15,000 years old. Archeologists believe that the ring was a refuse heap, created by Indians that lived in the interior of the ring, which was kept clear and used as a common area. Two other shell rings on Hilton Head were destroyed when the shells were removed and used to make tabby for roads and buildings. The Green's Shell Enclosure, Sea Pines, and Skull Creek shell rings are listed in the National Register of Historic Places and are protected by law.
Coastal Discovery Museum
70 Honey Horn Plantation Rd 843-689-6767
The Coastal Discovery Museum is one of the most memorable destinations on Hilton Head Island. Explore natural history and cultural heritage on the 68 acre Honey Horn property. The Museum's trails, gardens, live oaks, butterfly enclosure and Marsh Tacky horses are just a few of the fun experiences you will encounter during your visit. Mon. - Sat. 9-4:30 and Sun. 11-3.
Gullah Heritage Trail Tours
Monday - Sunday 8:00am - 5:00pm 70 Honey Horn Road 843-681-7066
Gullah is the West African based system of traditions, customs, beliefs, art forms and family life that have survived centuries of slavery and more than a century of free lifestyle.
Harbour Town Lighthouse
149 Lighthouse Road, Hilton Head Island, SC 29928 866-305-9814
Serving as the centerpiece of the Sea Pines Plantation, this lighthouse structure is colored like a candy cane and features a small shop at the top.
Harbour Town's Yacht Basin
65 Skull Creek Drive, Hilton Head, SC
In 1862 this earthwork fort was laid out on a bluff overlooking Skull Creek. This was part of a system of fortifications stretching across Hilton Head from Fort Sherman to Skull Creek. After the October 30, 1862 death of Major General Ormesby McKnight Mitchel, the fort was officially named in his honor. Mitchel had arrived on Hilton Head on September 22, 1862 as Commander of the Department of the South, Hilton Head.